Pages Navigation Menu

The Birthplace of Effingham County

Jerusalem Lutheran Church

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 in featured

The old red brick church building at Ebenezer is the only structure that remains of the early colonial town.  This treasure of Salzburger and German heritage is known by several names – the Old Salzburger Church or, more often, simply Ebenezer Church.  Officially and correctly, it is Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church. However, the church is the people – the members that comprise the congregation.  This church community dates from 1733 when organized at St. Anna Church in Augsburg, Germany.  Its first pastors, Johann Martin Boltzius and Israel Christian Gronau, met and joined with their flock in Rotterdam, Holland.  From there pastors and congregation traveled to the colony of Georgia as the First Salzburger Transport, arriving in Savannah on March 12, 1734. The building of the current structure was begun in 1767 and it was completed in 1769.  The bricks...

Read More

Savannah River

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 in featured

Ebenezer is adjacent to the Savannah River where there is a wide landing for your recreational pleasure.

Read More