Pages Navigation Menu

The Birthpplace of Effingham County

IMMEDIATE NEED: Host Family For German Exchange Student

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 in events, featured, news

  Dear Society members, The Teutonic Council of Savannah is asking the 3 German societies to provide assistance in the search for a host family for a 16-year-old female German exchange student from our sister city Halle. The T.C. has been trying to establish teacher-student exchanges with Halle for a year or so with the plan to start off with an exchange of teachers this year. The T.C. was recently informed by our partners in Halle that they have a student who would like to spend the coming school year in Savannah and that the student exchange was sponsored by a U.S. organization called ASSE, which would arrange the school placement in Savannah as soon as a host family is found. For further information about the student, please refer to the attachments with photos of her and her family and her CV. Any interested Savannah families...

Read More

Proclamation recognizing October 6th, 2014 as “German-American Day”

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 in events, featured, news

Bill Mintz, representing the German Friendly Society (Blue Shirt), David Mason , representing the German Heritage Society (Tan Coat), Dr. James Anderson, of Armstrong college, representing the Greater Savannah International Alliance (Dark Coat), Claudia Christiansen, representing the Georgia Salzburger Society, Alderman Mary Ellen Sprague, representing the Mayor and city council. At the meeting of the Savannah Mayor and Alderman on October 2, 2014, alderman Mary Ellen Sorague, representing Mayor Edna Jackson, read a proclamation recognizing October 6th, 2014 as “German-American Day”. We were presented a framed copy of the proclamation.as seen in the photos. // Post by Visit...

Read More

Watch the Heritage Day Presentations Live

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 in events, featured

You can watch the events unfold live via Ustream as well as watch it later as we will be recording as well. Live streaming video by...

Read More

2014 Heritage Day Festival

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 in events, featured

2014 Heritage Day Events This year’s Heritage Day events include celebrating the 280th anniversary of our landing in Georgia at 11:00 AM in the Jerusalem church sanctuary. Our speaker for the program is Dr. Mueller Bahlke, (currently working on the letters of Johann Ernst Bergmann, the last pastor to Ebenezer from Germany).  He will speak on “Through your fatherly communication“ The Salzburger settlements in Ebenezer and the worldwide network of the Halle Pietism. Euchee (Yuchi) Indians Poster Contest The Museum will be open with the Market Platz as usual, along with the Loest Research Library for viewing. Membership tent is located next to the museum for sign in before the meeting and a table to help new members apply.  Dues can also be paid at that time. Various activities for children as usual will be located on the grounds....

Read More

Museum and Living History Site

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 in featured

Martha O. Zeigler, Curator 2980 Ebenezer Road Rincon, Georgia 31326 Office Phone: 912-754-7001 MUSEUM HOURS: Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday 3:00 P.M. to 5:00P.M. or by...

Read More

Jerusalem Lutheran Church

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 in featured

The old red brick church building at Ebenezer is the only structure that remains of the early colonial town.  This treasure of Salzburger and German heritage is known by several names – the Old Salzburger Church or, more often, simply Ebenezer Church.  Officially and correctly, it is Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church. However, the church is the people – the members that comprise the congregation.  This church community dates from 1733 when organized at St. Anna Church in Augsburg, Germany.  Its first pastors, Johann Martin Boltzius and Israel Christian Gronau, met and joined with their flock in Rotterdam, Holland.  From there pastors and congregation traveled to the colony of Georgia as the First Salzburger Transport, arriving in Savannah on March 12, 1734. The building of the current structure was begun in 1767 and it was completed in 1769.  The bricks...

Read More